Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I wish I were a writer.

I just discovered one of those old drafts of blog posts that, in writer's block or creative despair, are consigned by their authors to lie forever dormant and dusty in a draft folder in a private account in a gigantic impersonal blogging site. The kind of draft that gets tapped out in straggling enthusiasm only to be left with a huff of tears and a "I'll never be good at this, why do I try??!!"

This particular draft only had two words.

"Ugh, writing."

Writing is like dredging up from the closet the skeletal structure that you suspect could be all of yourself and holding it up to the light of day. It looks different every time - sometimes gruesome, sometimes almost pleasant, humanlike - but your fear each time you stare at the closet door, wondering if you should unearth the monster within, is not at all, "I wonder what it will look like? I hope it will be one of the good times!" (Of course, that's definitely a concern that might flit across the "Less Important" list in your mind. The one that's okay with fooling people.) But no. Your fear is to see again the hollow spaces between the ribs, between the chest cage and spine, inside the gaping mouth. My fear, as a wanna-be writer, pulling the writing out of myself, is that it will prove to be empty, a grinning specter, posing as a human being and only more grotesque in its likeness.

I mean, come on, I'm using skeletons as a metaphor for writing. How tepid is that? Gross, gross, gross. It's a good thing I don't take anything seriously.

"Being a writer" is such a fad.

Ugh, writing.

4 comments:

  1. I FEEL YOU!!!!!!!!! (Ugh. What writer uses that many exclamation points? My life-quota of exclamation points is swiftly running out. And when it does, according to a noted writing professor, I will die.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I hope lots of people read this, even though only one commented thus far. Because it is so encouraging! It is such a timely one for me; just earlier i was thinking of putting together my blog, and your description is just what transpired. Thank you for giving it form. I don't feel alone. And that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's a writer, anyway? Isn't it someone who loves words? someone who loves to capture thoughts, feelings, experiences and has fun wording and rewording? We're like crows! We gather sparkly words and phrases; we can't help it! Why the ugh? Is someone putting pressure on you? Some deadline? That would be ugh. That would be death. Remember, you're a crow, not a writing machine! You love your words like treasures. They're YOURS, even if no one else appreciates them or sees their beauty, they're YOURS! Okay, I'll stop. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh ... I just saw the date on your post ... heh ... I'm a little late. I saw it on my iGoogle and just clicked on it and read it, not realizing it was a YEAR OLD! gee.

    ReplyDelete