Sunday, April 11, 2010

"I'm your huckleberry."

[Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More]

Daniel just introduced me to one of the best movies ever of all time. The guy owns Tombstone and BROUGHT IT WITH HIM TO OXFORD. Who does that??? Awesome people. Daniel Menjivar, that's who - the guy who aspires to be Doc Holliday.

DUDE. That movie is SO CRAZY GOOD!!! We just sat there with our jaws dropping and now we're all fired up to ride across the American plain and save people from bad guys. Or just be in love with Doc Holliday FOREVER. But instead, we have to sit in our house here in England and write papers. Shoot.

The thing is, it's our last week here, and even sitting in the common room of Crick writing a paper has taken on a giddy sweet charm. There is the random outburst (usually from a girl) of "Ohh nooo!! We have to leave in a week!!" which is always swiftly followed by a yell (usually from another girl...or Nick) of "I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT IT."

Here are some other things that have been happening in Oxford:

-Kate and I joined Jay at the Quaker meeting this morning. It was really challenging and fascinating and I had millions of questions for him afterwards. I really don't know much about Quakers at all, but I'm really intrigued to know more. I've been able to experience quite the gamut of church experiences here. While I've been very well plugged in to St. Ebbe's, I've also managed to visit churches of a lot of other traditions (Catholic, high Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Quaker, etc.) and it's been both eye-opening, fascinating, confusing, challenging, and encouraging. It has also clarified a lot of vague concepts I had about what the church should be.

-Daniel decided to ask people if he were an animal which one would he be. So I made him pick one for me, and he said a peacock. Because they explode and make loud noises when you get them upset." (In his defense, he also tried to come up with some kind of "and peacocks are pretty!") Now he and Nick won't quit saying "peacock" whenever I get riled up. What can you do to that? It's like when you're in a bad mood and your mom says, "Hannah, you're grumpy." I'M NOT GRUMPY, DANGIT. Your response just proves her whole point. Dangit.

-We went to the Kilns yesterday. I have been where C.S. Lewis lived. Oh my he is my hero. I'll have to tell more stories about that some time. Suffice it to say: I was in a blissful state, soaking in the view and the stories.

-I met up with Nick Elledge and Jared Canfield in London. It was so weird, we used to hang out during all those long tournament hours when we were sixteen. Now we're all in England together. Crazy times.

-Our field trips have been awesome. OH MY. Some pictures are up on Facebook. Stonehenge is pretty legit, guys. :)

-I took a picture with Peter Pan.

-Jay and I played badminton against Christine and Hutton today. Our team: Spartacus. We won. Ohhhhhhhhyeah.

I guess I should go do some work on my paper now. It's due at 12:00 on Thursday and it is a MEGA MEGA MEGA PAPER.

6 comments:

  1. tombstone=greatest movie ever made.
    "You're a daisy if ya do"

    next, watch Young Guns. Billy the Kid is a whole different kind of cool :)

    then, watch The Proposition, but you have to watch it with me!!!! Are you ready for an artistic western featuring Guy Pearce? I dont think you are.
    I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

    are you definitly coming for summer? We need people to start making serious plans here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats one of my favorite quotes Collette, my absolute favorite however, is
    "You're so drunk you can't hit nothin. In fact, you're probably seeing double." "I have two guns, one for each of ya."
    Basically anything Doc Holliday said was awesome.

    It's really weird/awesome that you girls are into westerns. I grew up with a bunch of girls, and none of them liked westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My hypocrisy knows no bounds."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I know: let's have a spelling contest!"

    haha we could go on forever.
    by the way, this drove me crazy so i'll share it!
    i wondered why doc holiday said "this is funny" and looked at his toes before he died. turns out no one thought he would die in bed with his boots off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAH! COLLETTE! I'm so glad you looked that up because it drove me crazy, too. I was like....I'm sure this is hilarious and AWESOME but I DON'T GET IT.

    (This has to be the best string of comments on a blog ever. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The last ride of Wyatt Earp and his immortals." I feel like Wyatt Earp and his immortals needs to be a band name, or the title of a book or something.

    ReplyDelete