Monday, May 24, 2010

Do I HAVE to??

Now that we're in Baton Rouge, with jobs and a car, Sarah and I are apparently going to start living a disciplined life. This involves getting up early every morning (well, like 7:30), working out, running regularly, reading regularly, and --- here it comes, eating healthy. Which, with our summer beach trip only two weeks away, really means eating next to nothing. At least, that's what it seems like to me.

Background: I've never dieted a day in my life -- unless, of course, you count the times I rode the curve of Sarah's sugar-purging frenzies. Those lasted a week at most and were generally just well-intentioned fanaticism. My role in these crazes was typically little more than bemused observation and maybe smaller bowls of ice-cream than usual. I don't even know how to count calories.

But NOW, Collette, Aunt Jill, and Sarah are on a strict regimen of yoghurt and fruit and granola and eggs and I really am pretty sure that's just about it. At my dismayed "But I'll be hungry all the time!!" they stared at me in surprise and said, "Duh." THEN, to top it all off, Collette almost didn't let me eat a bowl of Big O's because "THIS WILL GO STRAIGHT TO WHERE YOU DON'T WANT IT!!!!" I was horrified. My conclusion to all of this is that dieting sucks.

This was all discussed in great detail yesterday, with varying levels of enthusiasm from all parties involved. I'll be honest, despite my misgivings, I can get excited about a new scheme for a new life of health. How bad could it be? Being healthy is fantastic. Resolutions are fun if just to see how long they last. So, the plan was set and had only to be set in motion.

Then, last night, after a day full of healthy and delicious yoghurt and starvingness, Collette, Sarah, and Hannah (third person) drove out to find a movie to watch to celebrate a summer together. When we got to the register to rent the movie, the movie-store guy said, "We have a five for five special and you can get two candies, two drinks, and a popcorn." Five minutes later, we drove off with Cokes, Butterfingers, Nerds, and Extra Butter Popcorn in the back seat.

Oh, summer, I love you with your good intentions and grace to break them from time to time.

[Addendum: I feel I should inform the world, in case it's worried about me -- my ultimate decision about the summer is to eat whatever the heck I want and just exercise regularly, like you should in the summer. :)]

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read those last few lines. I'm on a diet because I can't afford a lot of food, you have NO REASON to be starving yourself of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooh. I was getting tenser and tenser until that last section. I can't imagine not eating ice cream. You don't need to diet if you are exercising. Wait,what I am saying, YOU don't need to diet at all.
    I'm glad its fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the last two days, I'm all little deflated -- definitely not physically, OHO no! -- but in terms of our resolution. I just finished my second HUGE helping of chocolate shake within the past two days. And burgers. And beaucoup Chinese food. Oh dear, oh dear. If only we can make it till Florida, then we'll at least look good in our swimsuits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, ben....I should know this. Was he a cdv major?

    honestly, the first name that came to my mind was Ben Bernake. nope. defintely not.

    ReplyDelete