Thursday, January 7, 2010

Five Hours in the DFW airport.

[Current music: A folk mix that the itunes genius thing put together for me]

Three hours down and and I'm still in a really good mood! It's probably all downhill from here.

I'm slouched in an armchair in the "DFW Comfort Lounge" in terminal D, one gate away from the one I fly out of. From here I can comfortably surf the web (for $7.99) and watch all the interesting people hurrying by. Airports can be anything from creepy to boring to overwhelming, but they're always fascinating. Between the people-watching, the overhead announcements (that startle the crap out of me every time), and the phone conversations, I haven't felt stir-crazy at all.

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" just started playing. It's like God is making a soundtrack for me.

In the airport:

-This middle-aged cowboy walked by me with one of his pant legs rolled up to show his enormous tattoo to the world. I've never seen that before. I guess if you get a tattoo that big, you should keep it on display.

-A family that flew with me from Shreveport had twin baby girls. Dang, they're going to have a great life.

-The people at the information desk in front of me look like park rangers. And when I was talking to Nat, the lady turned around and glared at me. I think I was being too loud. That's shocking.

-The guy who was working in Starbucks thought I said I wanted "coffee" flavoring in my hot chocolate instead of "toffee." He made me feel stupid for not knowing that what I was ordering was the same things as a mocha. And then I was so confused I didn't correct him and so I ended up with the wrong drink AND a frazzled ego.

Welp, now I'm getting hungry. So here's the end of my last post State-side. In an hour and a half, I'll board my plane and hopefully sleep my way to snowy Heathrow. See you in Oxford!!

3 comments:

  1. Jolly good, wot! Blimey, nothin but a spot of tea could've made reading this post more crack-a-lackin'. (Ok, so I lost the British at the end there and ran into some ... other ... strange ... dialect. Oh, well. I do what I can.)

    You are AMAZING. And yes, the twins and their family, well, they're going to have a WONDERFUL life. (Perhaps much like the movie.)

    And I don't know why those people glared at you like you're loud. It's not like you are. I don't understand it, what is the airport personnel world coming to??

    And I also, on top of thinking you're amazing, love you. And think you are hilariously witty. And love you also on top of all those things including already loving you ... I love you twice. And more.

    P.S. "Snowy Heathrow." *gasp* Positively chaaahhhming! Take me.

    P.P.S. I guess when you see this you will be ON Heathrow! *GASPGASPGASP!!!* WELCOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was going to comment on one of your observations. But Sarah had them all covered. We just got more snow too. I hope you can get your hands on a sled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE'RE GOING TO BUILD A SNOWMAN TOMORROW!!!! And try to track down a sled. Cardboard boxes may be easier to locate.

    There aren't a ton of HILLS here, though....

    ReplyDelete