Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A place to start . . .

The Point: So, I'm blogging again. Some friends suggested a blog as the most efficient way to share about my exploits in Oxford. After mild protesting, I realized they were right: blogging is murderously efficient. I don't even have to talk to anyone. Just about myself.

I hope this becomes a place where I can share experiences, document adventures and - most of all - keep writing.

The Name: Dad wanted it to be called "Sheep . . . Why are there sheep everywhere?" Then he wanted to watch Monty Python's Flying Circus all night long.

I picked this name because, 1) I am living in a house on Crick Road in Oxford for four months and it's practically a castle (as like a castle as a large-ish Victorian house can be). 2) I distilled it from one of my favorite books, which is also set in England. 3) I like the way it sounds. 4) Sarah and Robbie, my two main advisers for the title, like the way it sounds.

Grandad came up with the subtitle: "Well, Hannah, it's rainy and foggy and you'll be depressed the whole time so why don't you call it the 'London Foggy Blog.'" That was right before he began muttering "Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, what a crazy world."

The Starting Place: An open suitcase full of books, journals, winter clothes, and Snort the Red Stuffed-Animal is sitting at the top of the stairs and tomorrow I leave the country for England.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"But you know no matter where we are / we're always touching by underground wires."

7 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to being a part of your journey if only via words on a computer. But most of all, you will definitely be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we'll be touching by underground wires!!!

    And I still think you should have called it "I See London" even if it does draw the mind inevitably toward underpants.... Ok, maybe I Capture the Castle is better.

    I love you madly!!! And no matter how many followers you get on this blog, I'll ALWAYS be the number 1!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i capture the castle:
    a book that i love.
    i also love
    your words.
    and you!
    and i am excited to hear about your
    ADVENTURES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are doing this! Can't wait to hear bout your adventures. You will be (and are) ---thoroughly--- missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Oxford will be able to handle you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, thanks, Seth.

    GUYS, I'M GOING TO MISS ALL OF YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!! But I'll be back before we know it, with lots of stories to tell! ;-)

    ReplyDelete