Monday, February 1, 2010

"Childhood is short and maturity is forever."

So live a little!!! Seriously. Kate and I screamed as we went out on the town at 11:30 last night: "YOUTH IS WASTED ON THE YOUNG, BUT THEY'LL NEVER SAY THAT ABOUT US!!!! WE'RE IN OXFORD!!" Which is basically what Calvin said to Hobbes when they went sledding instead of finishing homework.

In other news, I have been writing a paper ALLLLLL DAY (since I got home from church, that is). And it is one of those papers that does not want to be written. Like its writer, it has a will of iron and a stubborn streak as long as . . . something that is very long. And I swear it has been like pulling teeth to write this thing.

I also read way too much Calvin and Hobbes, alternately sympathizing with Calvin (who, obviously, agreed with me that I should not have to be writing this paper) and his mom (who knows the pain of trying to force little boys into bathtubs -- which can be a lot like trying to force a paper to write itself).

So I wrote this paper for hours and hours and got distracted and got in a really bad mood and went back to writing it and couldn't figure out what it was I was trying to say about Shakespeare's development of Measure for Measure and then I would write two paragraphs and erase them in fury . . . . and this all went on for forever until I finally had almost an entire rough draft that I hated. And then I wrote the last sentence and suddenly realized I had discovered my thesis. So relieving.

The Superbowl is in a week. (ohmygosh)

Phoenix concert. March 30. London. Go? Yes?

By the end of this week, I shall have been here an entire month. Wow.

I had mango sherbet tonight.

Another week in Oxford begins.

To conclude with another Calvinism (haha): "Look at all this homework I'm supposed to do! I don't want to do this garbage! I want to go play outside!"

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I didn't know there was a Phoenix concert in London! Dang.

    ReplyDelete