Monday, February 1, 2010

Oxford: Where your best is never good enough.

This is apparently a tagline that graduates have given the lovely university which is Oxford. And that's how I feel every Monday at 5:00 as I'm saying goodbye to Josh, my Shakespeare tutor.

Fun Facts about the UK (inspired by Robbs). Simon told me these:

-It is illegal to die in the House of Parliament.

-Any stray whale's head on the beach is the king's property. So if you're walking along the beach and happen upon a whale's head, don't touch that thing. Also: the tail belongs to the queen.

-In York, it is only legal to kill a Scotsman if he's holding a bow-and-arrow.

I need to get back to my book (The Man Who Was Thursday). How's this for beauty:

"In the wild events which were to follow this girl had no part at all; he never saw her again until all his tale was over. And yet, in some indescribable way, she kept recurring like a motive in music through all his mad adventures afterwards, and the glory of her strange hair ran like a red thread through those dark and ill-drawn tapestries of the night."

4 comments:

  1. First. I would like to commend you on the frequency of your blog posts. It is wonderful.
    Second. How do whale heads belong to the King if there is no King?
    Third. When you post something on your blog, it lists a time of posting; does that time apply to you or to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it applies to you, because it says I just posted at 4:55.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "she kept recurring like a motive in music"

    this resonates with me. missing you.

    Your,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. It hurts, it is so beautiful. G.K. Chesterton, you've slaughtered me again. Soul-piece by soul-piece.

    I've decided that when I'm about to die I will say to you, "Hannah. Let's skip on over to the House of Parliament, shall we?" And then I shall die there, and it shall be my final if insignificant cry to the world: "FORGET YOU AND YOUR LAWS!! I'm OUTTA HERE!!!"

    I would love it if you would accompany me. Not outta here, but at least to the House of Parliament.

    ReplyDelete