Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shakespeare and Rugby.

[Valentine's Day jam -- Paolo Nutini. Thanks to Collette for reminding me.]

There's this part in Clueless where Alicia Silverstone's character, Cher, is talking to her stepbrother and his pretentious academic genius girlfriend in the car. And the obnoxious girlfriend is philosophizing about something Hamlet says and Cher butts in with "Hamlet didn't say that." The girlfriend looks at her like she's a total idiot and says - her tones dripping with disdain - "Um, I think I remember Hamlet accurately." And Cher, clueless but correct, comes back with "Well, I remember Mel Gibson accurately and he didn't say that. That Polonius guy did."

When I'm sitting there with Josh, sometimes I feel like he is staring back at Cher. Sometimes I just want to burst out, "Look, I'm not STUPID. I know my Kenneth Branagh."

To-Do Today: Finish paper on Henry IV, Part I, comparing the four main characters. Easy enough, right? Right . . . .

Yesterday I watched my first rugby match. I mean, it was on TV not real-life, but it was still the first time I had ever been exposed to what rugby looks like: Namely, a bunch of really scary-looking men running around and around and around chasing a ball and randomly piling on top of each other and wrestling till the ball flies out of the pile and then they start running around again. That is legitimately what it looked like. Really weird.

But Sam Brewit-Taylor, our British Junior Dean, was very available to answer all of my mystified questions (such as "Are they actually trying to get anything accomplished or are they really just running around?"). So I'm beginning to understand the game. It's like a combination of football (American), soccer, quidditch without brooms, and water polo. Boom.

THE OLYMPICS ARE GOING ON AND I HAVEN'T WATCHED ANY OF IT. ::angry face::

OK, paper time . . . . .

(Prince Hal is my Shakespeare crush.)

Happy Valentine's Day. :)

4 comments:

  1. I really want to watch rugby. I also really want to play rugby. I'm not sure I'm enough of a man though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. The guys who were watching it with me said the same thing. While I was peppering Sam with questions, all they said the whole time was, "Wow, that is so effing manly."

    I'll give you this: soccer players are waaaay more attractive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in Scotland last summer my second cousins (who all play) tried to teach me how to throw the rugby ball and I almost died just from that.
    Also, Hannah, I hope you're enjoying your time. I would like to see you soon, ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahahahahahaha that's gotta be the best description of any sport I've ever read. Ever thought about becoming a writer for Sports Illustrated? ;)

    Josh scares me. I guess you just have to remember that when he was little he used to pick his nose and poop in diapers. Maybe he still does (pick his nose, I mean). Might make you feel better.

    Ok, random note: you have to check out these two FANTASTICALLY beautiful songs -- Stay or Leave by Dave Matthews, and Far far by Yael Naim. Ohhhhh myyyy gossshhhhh they're soooo beauuuutiful!!!

    Also, HAPPY LATE LATE VALENTINE'S DAY!!! I LOOOOVVVVE YOUUUUUUU!!!!

    ReplyDelete